At Cambrex, it’s our people that set us apart. We work locally and have an impact globally. We’re committed to attracting, nurturing and retaining a passionate and talented team of experts in our fast paced and growing company. You will be valued and recognized. We offer an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Life, STD, LTD, generous vacation in your first year, sick time, and retirement savings!
Cambrex is the small molecule company that provides drug substance, drug product and analytical services across the entire drug lifecycle. Known for our scientific and manufacturing excellence and customer focus, we offer a range of career opportunities across our global network of locations. As a team, we share one goal – to improve the quality of life for our customers’ patients across the world.
The Sr. Research Scientist performs duties for the Process Development and Manufacturing team in support of pharmaceutical development and/or manufacturing according to established operating procedures. Works on route development/process optimization projects.
Efficiently plans experiments by consulting with senior technical personnel and conducts them with minimal supervision and oversight. Experienced with a wide variety of chemistry, analyses and techniques. Employs safe laboratory work practices. Interacts with clients during routine project updates.
Maintains professional knowledge through familiarity with scientific literature. Works on problems of diverse scope. Demonstrates ability to plan and schedule experiments with increased independence. Interprets results from experiments and plans follow up experiments to achieve project objectives. May organize and execute routine work with minimum supervision. Properly evaluates, interprets and communicates generated data.
- Some experience with the assembly and operation of laboratory-scale reactor trains and associated equipment used for multi-hundred gram-scale API manufacture.
- Strong knowledge of fundamental, mechanistic organic chemistry as it applies to process safety and optimization, route design, identification and purge of impurities and by-products
- Working knowledge of analytical chemistry used for in-process controls, product characterization and release testing
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills for internal and external presentation using standard software
- Working knowledge of crystallization and distillation techniques
- Familiarity with multi-hundred gram-scale chromatography equipment
- Compound potency determination using analytical HPLC, qNMR, GC, KF and TGA
- Experience in drafting and reviewing Working Instructions and Batch Records for technical transfer to manufacturing
- Experience with process safety hazard analysis including standard calorimetry techniques and equipment
- Plan, perform and analyze laboratory experiments in a safe, timely manner with some degree of supervision and regular communication with supervisor/project manager
- Compiles, maintains and interprets data on results of analysis and communicates/verifies these results to supervisor
- Execute a wide range of laboratory techniques with some supervision and will require increased supervision when new practices are introduced
- Maintain laboratory equipment and supplies with limited oversight
- Contribute to technical reports, campaign summaries, and batch records
- Effectively communicate results to cross-functional team
- Develop expertise in process chemistry technologies
- Develop a familiarity with the current literature in the area of synthetic organic and process chemistry
- Regularly participate in group meetings and interview seminars
- May attend scientific conferences and/or professional courses
- Help in identifying technical problems and obstacles relating to conducting scientific experiments and may suggest solutions
- Has a basic familiarity with additional analytical techniques including HPLC, NMR, GC, KF and TGA
- Help conceptualize process chemistry-related projects and provide detailed planning for defined projects including time frames, milestones, expected results and necessary resources
- Interpret scientific validity of results
- Provide appropriate updates, documentation and communication of project results to senior scientists and management
- Executes literature searches which result in effective scientific plans.
- Actively seek out technical experts for advice and suggestions
- Contribute to troubleshooting of CMC problems with innovative approaches
- Anticipates scientific challenges and responds with appropriate alternative strategies
- Proficient with most laboratory techniques and actively investigate new technologies
- May demonstrate creative problem-solving skills
- Maintains a clean and safe workspace
- Maintains laboratory notebook and/or computer files (i.e. LIMS) according to standard, accepted practices
- Enter project hours promptly and update project status on appropriate tracking and/or timekeeping systems
- Participate in and comply with all current safety, health and environmental programs
- Participates in technical discussions and brainstorming sessions
- Communicates issues or challenges to senior staff and/or management
- Prepares well-written and organized Project Summary Reports
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Excellent academic and professional record with demonstrated laboratory skills and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Bachelor degree with 8+ years’ experience, Master degree with 4+ years of experience or Ph.D. with 1+ years of experience.
- Strong scientific/technical reading, writing and verbal communication skills
- Can conceive and apply a technical solution to a specific problem
- Strong understanding of scientific concepts, principles and procedures
- Basic understanding of current FDA and cGMP regulations
- May have the ability to train and mentor junior-level staff
- Ability to operate laboratory equipment and computers
- Ability to give direction as an experienced scientist and contribute in a team environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Can repeat and follow detailed scientific procedures with minimal supervision
- Able to clearly present results verbally in group meetings and in written progress reports
- Good interpersonal skills and is willing to ask questions about procedures and concepts
- Aptitude and willingness to gain more skills and knowledge
- Excellent researcher who is able to function effectively with an increased level of independence
- Can articulate and evaluate project concepts and strategy
- May be recognized as a technical resource in a related area
- Demonstrates continued development in a relevant area of CMC
- Ability to plan and execute process scale-up activities with some input from their supervisor
- May participate in outsourcing activities related to individual research area
- Demonstrates mature judgment, foresight and creativity in the planning and execution of scientific projects
- May demonstrate the ability to lead others scientifically
- Passionate about technical expertise and quality work
- Flexible mindset to be able to learn and troubleshoot new techniques
- Must be able to schedule time and be organized
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and projects concurrently
- Demonstrated accountability with prior positions
- Ability to adhere to a strict attendance policy
- Excellent verbal and written communication and analytical skill with a strong attention to detail
Cambrex is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.