Cambrex is the small molecule company that provides drug substance, drug product and analytical services across the entire drug lifecycle. Known for our scientific and manufacturing excellence and customer focus, we offer a range of career opportunities across our global network of locations. As a team, we share one goal – to improve the quality of life for our customers’ patients across the world.
The role of Associate Manager for the Process Chemistry department is to manage and mentor scientists to ensure client timelines are achieved. The department performs routine and complex organic synthesis, purification and analytical evaluation of materials as part of a process chemistry research and development. The team also develops and optimizes phase appropriate synthetic routes to active pharmaceutical ingredients for purity, reproducibility, scalability and yield. This role will lead process chemistry projects and participate in determining future directions of the process chemistry group.
- Carry out multistep organic syntheses, isolation, and purification of targeted products under limited direct supervision of a senior member of the team.
- Proficiently conduct analysis of starting materials, reaction mixtures, intermediates and products using appropriate instrumentation.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Maintain familiarity with the company’s chemical hygiene plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Maintain familiarity with organic chemistry literature.
- Work closely with manufacturing and GMP operations to coordinate project-related equipment and activities. Assist in the transfer of processes to the manufacturing team.
- Routinely generate summaries and reports on completed experimental work for internal and external use. Routine presentation of experimental work for internal meetings and teleconferences with customers.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills (both written and oral). Participate in project team meetings with customers.
- Act as process chemistry lead for customer projects. Identify critical questions to be answered and set priorities for the process chemistry team.
- Full, independent identification of potential chemistry and processing issues, generation of timelines and estimates for proposal creation.
- Mentor, teach and supervise associate and senior scientists.
- Work closely with other chemistry and analytical laboratory staff to coordinate project activities and resource usage.
- Participate in determining the future direction of the group including a continuous improvement plan, expansion of group capabilities and expertise.
- Work to ensure teamwork and cooperation exists within the group at all times.
- Address routine administrative requirements in a timely fashion.
- MS. in Organic Chemistry with 6+ years of experience
- PhD. in Organic Chemistry with 4+ years of experience
- A proven track record of experience in late-stage optimization programs implementing Quality by Design (QbD) standards and protocols
- Significant experience involving use and implementation of Design of Experiments (DOE) software and statistical analysis
- Leadership experience (2+ years) with either direct or in-direct line reporting structures.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with ever-changing business objectives, be willing to adapt to change, as well as being capable of driving change.
- Must interact well with all levels of management, co-workers, and regulators.
- Must possess strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and work independently as well as in close collaboration with others.