Cambrex is the small molecule company that provides drug substance, drug product and analytical services across the entire drug lifecycle. Known for our scientific and manufacturing excellence and customer focus, we offer a range of career opportunities across our global network of locations. As a team, we share one goal – to improve the quality of life for our customers’ patients across the world.
The Analytical Chemistry Associate Manager supervises and coordinates the activities of the Agawam Analytical team and provides leadership for the team. This role is accountable for the output of the team members and will oversee the day-to-day operations of the analytical chemistry laboratory ensuring that all testing is completed in a timely manner by trained team members per GMP guidelines.
As part of the Agawam management team, this role will create departmental systems, departmental monitors, and foster a culture of continuous improvement focused on value to the customer. This role will be expected to improve the consistency and predictability of quality, pace and cost of the Analytical Chemistry laboratory.
This role will interact with clients and is responsible for successfully meeting client and departmental objectives in a timely manner.
- Supervises the day to day operations for assigned area.
- Ensures all staff members are fully trained.
- Participates in and supports client visits, audits and inquiries to ensure complete fulfillment of requests and interests.
- Recruits, trains, develops and retains staff for the effective process of departmental operations.
- Provides technical guidance for troubleshooting and investigating simple to moderately complex issues in area of expertise.
- Ensure that the analytical chemistry laboratory is maintained in an audit ready state: review data for accuracy and completeness, oversee training of team members, write technical documents (e.g. reports, protocols, test procedures, SOPs, etc.), supervise compendial method verifications and method transfers, and manage quality events. Include training, BMRAM, Master Control, Quality Event follow up and other tasks in team member schedules
- Create daily schedules with prioritized tasks for each team member
- Hold daily team huddles to assess resources, workload and finalize plans
- Regularly inspect work to ensure quality and pace of work
- Delegate work to team members and follow up to ensure accuracy and on time completion
- Enforces all laboratory safety, security and housekeeping policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or advanced degree) in Chemistry or related science field required.
- 4+ years of experience in a GMP analytical chemistry testing laboratory.
- 2+ years in leadership roles for a total of 6+ years industry experience.
- Experience supporting compendial testing (USP, EP, JP, ACS, FCC, etc.) for wet chemistry, chromatographic, and spectrophotometric analyses.
- Experience performing root cause analysis for quality events.
- Basic business acumen.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing with clients and other employees.
- Goal-oriented, with ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and numerous projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem- solving abilities.
- Ability to review, compile, and analyze information to prepare reports.